We run quarterly newsletters which are uploaded here as well as information on current disease topics. Please click here to see our Client’s Corner Page for Clients stories and gallery.
Pneumonia Article in Cattle Youngstock.
***Sheep Scab Blood Test***
Sheep that have been infested with the sheep scab mite produce antibodies specific to a mite protein. The test can detect these antibodies in the blood of affected animals within 2 weeks of a mite infestation. Skin scraping can only effectively diagnose scab once lesions have developed (this can be several weeks after the initial infestation). This sensitive diagnostic test is a major step forward in controlling and preventing further spread of the… disease.
• Sensitive detection – detects disease before clinical signs appear limiting the spread of infection.
•Detects sheep scab within 2 weeks of mite infestation – informs rapid treatment and control strategies.
• Accurate diagnosis of scab – highly specific, will not detect other ectoparasites such as lice, ensures correct treatment prescribed.
When to use the test?
• Testing of individual animals e.g. when sheep scab infestation is suspected.
• Whole flock testing to detect the presence or confirm the absence of sheep scab, e.g. hogs returning from wintering pasture.
• Use as a biosecurity tool prior to introduction of new stock onto farms,
e.g rams or breeding females
• Use as a surveillance tool for scab, e.g. test rams before and after introduction to a flock.
• Eradication programs – use to confirm effectiveness of treatment or eradication of disease.
How many sheep should be tested in a flock?
For use on a whole flock or management group test 6-12 sheep from the group (up to a group size of 2,000).
The current price of the blood test at the lab is £8.50 plus VAT per animal (plus blood sampling fee).